Fake Plastic Grids

Having used the white silicone that I had around the house to create a few samples grids., I then went about experimenting with painting them. One I sprayed black, but the paint, once dried, flaked off easily. On the next I tired using a primer, which was more hard wearing than the black paint, but once I sprayed the black onto, it became flaky again. I like how the paints flaked, it was really interesting but it doesn’t half make a mess.

Advertisements

Mineral Design Experiment

I’ve been stuck. I don’t know how I going to go about making my designs. I’ve thought about using Photoshop to isolate different colour layers within a mineral image, and then using these different layers as layers in a print. I’ve experimented with how to repeat these patterns, but short of ending up with a mirrored pattern, I haven’t thought of another way to make them repeat. I’m not against mirrored patterns, in fact I quite like them, but once you start mirroring a mineral, it loses some of its natural essence.

I needed some-way in which I could see these designs, in front of me, and then hopefully I would know what path I should be taking.

20151231_145938607_iOS

Using my new handy screen and supplies, I chose a mineral image that I thought would work well as a screen print, and cut out 3 stencils so that I would be able to see the layering effect that I’m after. I chose colours that matched my theme and collection, and set about creating a sample. I wanted my design to be simple, but still combining the delicate small patterns within the mineral itself, though these small details are virtually impossible to create using a hand cut stencil, as my knife skills are only acceptable.

I think that smaller detail would be achievable when using the screen machine in university, where it’s much easier to get more detail onto a screen. I think that over this next month, I will have to work over Photoshop to separate and create layers for each of the designs I need to create. I also think that after having separated these layers, I could combine them into a new document, and have them digitally printed, choosing selected pieces to then hand print over the top.

 


Screen Printing, with TIGHTS!

I was really looking forward to getting into the printing workshop this week, but what with the workshop being cancelled and my Constellation today being cancelled, I seemed to have a lot of free time on my hands. What do you do when you have free time? Make a screen out of tights of course!

20151023_111833149_iOS

I have a little ideas and drawings sketchbook that I’ve been working in, and I’ve come up with a few designs that I think I might want to explore, the one I chose to do today was a drawing taken from a cross-section of a mineral. I had already explored different colour ways in my book so now all I had to do was mix up those colours, and get printing. Oh and make a screen.

I remembered that a while ago I saw this pin on Pinterest about making a silk screen at home. I’m not going to be using silk, cause well you know, so instead I searched my house for the next best thing, and found them lying at the back of the second drawer in my chest of drawers unit. Skin coloured tights, because I still wear the black ones. To make my screen I grabbed said tight, and one of my smaller embroidery hoops, and pushed the hoop through one of the leg of the tight, pulled it as tight as I could (no pun intended) then slipped the out ring over to secure it. I cut off the part of the tight that wasn’t secured between the hoops, and any excess.

20151023_100435229_iOS

Instead of creating a stencil, which would be uber-fiddly considering the design I chose, I drew my design onto the screen, using sharpie before I stopped to think whether this would get printed too (it didn’t), and then when on anther search, this time for runny glue. With glue to hand and a paintbrush at the ready, I painted all the negative space on my screen with glue, getting the holes of the tights nice a clogged so that nothing could get through them. It then occurred to me that maybe I should have tried to find a water-resistant glue? Oh well, I’m only experimenting. With a little help from my friend Mr. Hairdryer, my screen was ready to use in no time.

20151023_103543046_iOS

My fabrics were ready and waiting on a bed of newspaper which I prepared earlier, as was my blobs of paint. I used acrylic paint because I only have white printing ink and I don’t even know where that’s disappeared too. I mixed to green and purple paint, although the purple was more blue/black when actually printed and dried. I also used some white paint because I had a piece of orange velvet crying out to be included. I used a piece of thick mount board to spread my paint over the screen, but be warned, when working with tights, it’s not a good ideas to try and scrape you paint through, just wipe it over the surface of the screen lightly, so as not to pull the fabric and make a mess.

20151023_105553743_iOS

I’m really pleased with my results. I can now stop fretting about what my design might look like printed, could you image if I waited until next week before printing, I would have been a wreck! But its ok, I’m really happy. I’m thinking that I might do a bit of free machines on top of some, to get the gold shimmery effect that printing with foils gives. I haven’t yet figure out how I would be bale to do that at home yet. Give me time, I’m sure it’ll come to me.

20151023_110550572_iOS