Brief Encounter

During the cohort meeting on Monday it was mentioned that we needed a hard copy of our brief for the hand in, which reminded me that my brief needed a slight tweaking. I made sure that there wasn’t anything in my brief that wasn’t also in my collection (basically I took outa few handy loopholes that I thought I might when I wrote the brief) and made sure that everything was in tip top shapes for hand in.

And now I present you with, The Finished Brief –

Courtney Suller Brief


Behind The Scenes

Just some behind the scenes photos from the photoshoot –

 


Labeled With Love

They arrived on the day of the photoshoot so I wasn’t able to add them in, not that you’d be able to see them while the model was wearing the garments. But while I was getting to the end of making my garments I decided that they needed labels.

It’s strange, or maybe I am, but I was super excited to have designed an printed labels for my jackets. It’s made them seem so much more professional. Anyway, here a picture of what they look like now I’ve sewing them into my jackets.


I’m In A Mood Again

Having updated my mood boards for subject, I decide it was a good a time as any to update my mood boards for field. They needed a bit of rearranging now the my collection has developed. Plus I really like making mood boards at the moment, playing with layers and choosing what images to go together.

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 16.34.10Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 16.33.41Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 16.42.10Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 16.34.28


Simon 2.0 

I wasn’t happy with Simon. I really liked the original idea about having massive pleats as a way to convey ones of my original images, but I just waste happy. I really didn’t like the lining (probably because it was digital printed) and I didn’t like that the pleat was separate from the jacket, and it would have been in ripstop – not that I don’t like ripstop. I’ve been thinking about it for the last few days and it needs a change, with a little friend therapy I managed to sort out my ideas, culminating in Simon 2.0.

Hand printed grey Ripstop lining and white placement print on the jacket outside, coming up from the bottom of the jacket (where as the print on the other jacket come from top down). I also plan to either print or embroider a patch with the collection name ’No Less Human’ or maybe just the initials, on it. I feel much better about this ideas, which is good because I’ve already printed both fabrics!

 

p.s. printing on Ripstop … Bane of my life! Firstly, printing large repeats from a smallish design, not fun. Secondly, printing onto ripstop, really not fun! it took all I had to get through the day, and not give up and throw it in the bin. Just saying.

LOOK 2


Turn The Page

After working on my portfolio with Nada, I decided to show Irene the pages I have been working on and she gave me some suggestions on which I should change. The pages were a bit full so I shuffled things around to get some more white space, then swapped a few images around, rejigged my theme and colour pages, created a line up that would be printed on tracing paper and laid over toe images. I’ve made sure that I have samples of the materials for which my jackets are going to be made out of to put in. I also edited the front page with the British Fashion Council logo, which is where my portfolio will be heading in May with Irene, but also the Burberry logo, where my portfolio will be making its was next week! Eek!


In My Time of Dying Part 5 & 6

This week I spend two days this week dying the fabric for my jacket. The first day I was really excited that I was dying my fabric – excited as well as super stressed cause I really didn’t want to mess it up. Using three different dye bath I was trying to achieve a gradient that when from a light pink/brown, into a deeper orange and then into a dark red. I’d practiced these colours on samples already and knew which dye baths to use, but I must have forgotten a step because when I dried the fabric what I had was pink fabric moving into a purple gradient. To say I was gutted wouldn’t be an exaggeration. I hated the colour, and I really just didn’t want to carry on that day. I went to find Irene, who told me that I needed to sort the colour out, which was exactly what I needed to hear. With a plan of action ready for the next day, I went home, consoled myself with cookie dough and pizza, then got up bright an early ready for a second day of fabric dying.

IMG_7053

Day 2 – trying to make my fabric orange instead of pink. I used an orange dye bath that didn’t make much of a difference, then I made a darker orange dye bath which gave me a better result but had almost gotten rid of all my gradient dying. So I then made a dark red/brown dye bath which I then dipped the fabric in for about 20 minutes to get a more noticeable gradient. However, when my fabric dries, the colours become much lighter, which kind of sucks because I really loved the colour when the fabric was wet. One consolation is that when the fabric is waxed, the colours become richer! Yay!

In the end I’m happy with how my fabric had turned out, compared to the first day when it was a really horrible pink. After ironing my fabric it looks better again and I know that the colours will deepen after waxing.