23 Degrees and South

I’m really pleased with my space for the degree show.

Fun fact about me –  I have no sense of measurement what so ever. I cannot look at something and say how wide it is or how tall. It is completely beyond my capabilities.

That being said, I think I envisioned my layout really well. Last week it got to the point that I knew what I wanted to have in my space, but I couldn’t images how it would fit, because again, I have no sense of measurement, or spacial awareness.

My space looked small to me because I’d been sat there for most of this year and had managed to cramp it with the amount of work and junk I had on my table. Then everything was cleared and there was a ‘oh no, look how much space I have to fill’. However, like goldilocks and that damn porridge, it was actually just right. Everything has fit perfectly. There’s a good amount of white spaced mixed in with the display pieces and my work, and it just generally looks sick. Like really flipping cool. Like how did I pull off this level of coolness. Damn. I’m just so proud of how it looks and how I’ve made it to the end having made something I really loved, and loved every minute of making!

I’m really pleased.

You should come see it in person, it looks so much better. (Just saying)


It’s Not a Fashion Statement, It’s a Deathwish

I took some time today to put together my artist statement, and to really think about what I wanted to write in it. I wanted it to be succinct and to the point, while at the same time displaying the same passion that I have for my collection. Here’s what I came up with.

ARTIST STATEMENT

I have a heart for the homeless, one that makes me strive to fight for them, and to be heard for them. I created this collection as a way to break through the cloud of negativity and misconception that surrounds homelessness, so that no one gets treated as less than human because of a difference in living situation. I wanted my designs to reflect what homeless people see on a daily bases so I chose to focus patterns and markings found on the ground. This collection has a fashion outcome, for which I chose to create men’s outerwear. I chose outwear because of its protective nature, which I thought reflected really well with the idea that I’m trying to get across, that those who are vulnerable, such as the homeless, should be protected.


Labeled With Love

They arrived on the day of the photoshoot so I wasn’t able to add them in, not that you’d be able to see them while the model was wearing the garments. But while I was getting to the end of making my garments I decided that they needed labels.

It’s strange, or maybe I am, but I was super excited to have designed an printed labels for my jackets. It’s made them seem so much more professional. Anyway, here a picture of what they look like now I’ve sewing them into my jackets.


I’m In A Mood Again

Having updated my mood boards for subject, I decide it was a good a time as any to update my mood boards for field. They needed a bit of rearranging now the my collection has developed. Plus I really like making mood boards at the moment, playing with layers and choosing what images to go together.

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 16.34.10Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 16.33.41Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 16.42.10Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 16.34.28


Smoking Jacket

Jacket one is done. Well almost. Ok not really. But I did make the toile version which I think counts as at least partway there. Cutting the pattern was the easy(ier) bit, it then came to the sewing part, for which I had to use an industrial sewing machine. Took me a while to figure out how to work it, but after that I was ready and raring. Only it was so much more difficult and slightly stress inducing than I thought it would be. I don’t know what possessed me to think I’d be able put a jacket together, but I tried none the less.

It took me three tries to get the shoulder sleeve done. The first time I sewed it on inside out, the second time I had a huge pleat in the front of the jacket and after unpicking those and snapping the needle I was about ready to give up. Most likely. Then Irene swopped in like this black wearing superhero, kicked me off the machine, and showed me how to properly put a shoulder seem in, thank the Lord! I don’t think I would have been able to handle any more.

With my first toile made, I was able to see, kind of, what shape and size my jacket will be. Though it’s pretty hard to imagine anything when looking at the white beast of a thing.

Once I got someone to try it on, I was able to see, or confirm cause I totally already knew, that I didn’t like the hood. So I then went about creating a hood that had two side panels, and a middle panel and it’s so much nicer. It more exaggerated so sits wider instead of taller.

Job well done I think.