Beautiful Monster

I had a great ambition: to create a men’s jacket. But when those sleeves first got sewed in, I realised, I’ve made a monster. A monster I desperately wish to flee from. How could I have been so reckless, so naive as to think my creation would be accepted by the world; would be beautiful.

It’s purple skin has been marred by these strange white marks. I don’t know where they came from. I don’t know how to fix what I’ve put so desperately wrong.

Ok, ok, I’ll stop now.

Last week was super productive for me, I gathered all the pieces for my second jacket (Simon), and then went about putting them together. After putting four sleeves in, two for the outer and two for the lining, I was feeling pretty confident in my abilities. As well as super chuffed because I’d successfully created almost most of my jacket!

Joining the outer and the lining proved to be a beast of a different nature however, and after how long it took to figure out how to get them matches up correctly, Beth (thankfully!) took over and zipped the pieces together in super quickly.

I thought I was going to have much more difficulty with sewing together the pattern pieces, and while I didn’t create the whole jacket, I’m very proud of what I did create. I’m not a sewer. I can sew, but I’m not confident that I can create really fiddly things, but with this jacket I have! Yay me.

Advertisements

A Design For Life

Both Monday and yesterday were dedicated to garment production; cutting pattern species, attempting to sew seams, more pattern cutting. I made the body and sleeves of my first jacket, but since I don’t have the level of skill to put in sleeves, that’s something that will have to wait for another day.

Yesterday evening however, was dedicated to making a few new designs that I could then take into print and experiment with for the rest of the week. i decided to be a bit experimental with my designs, using a piece of charcoal, I took some of the shapes from my original photographs and turned them into quick marks, along with translating a bit of knit which was on my board, into a a few curved marks, which turned out to be quite interesting. I then spent the night scanning these in and turning them in designs/patterns. I’m looking forward to experimenting with these designs in print, especially using Devore.


One for the Cutters

I cut a pattern! I have never cut a pattern before and I won’t lie I didn’t really know what I was doing. Beth did explain but a lot went over my head which left me searching for answers by the time she’d left, however, I only forgot two things, 1) how to measure the hood, and 2) the change the back panel so that it dipped. So really I’m very proud. Only one more to go and then toiling begins. Or I might start toiling the first jacket while I pattern cut for the next, who knows.

(now some photos of me looking all professional)

img_6642


My mood board city

I’ve just started to create my mood boards. I’ve left it this long because I’ve been over thinking them. I know I have been and yet I couldn’t quite bring myself to stop. I wanted them to look perfect from the outset, rather than a work in progress that can inspire and develop my ideas. It was time to suck it up and create. The mood boards are a vital part of a collection and not just because we’ve always been told to make them, but because they truly do help to cut down ideas and to give you an intended path, which is what I need right now.

I’m still trying to approach my mood boards in a professional manner. I’ve been searching on atrsthreads to find really contemporary and well, really good looking, examples. I’ve never had a problem with over filling my mood boards, if anything I probably under fil so I’m ok in the regard, I just have to think  more about matching aspects together that create a narrative that I can follow clearly, and making sure that they look and feel contemporary and say exactly what I want my collection to be.

Here goes!

inspiration