I’ve started to revisit my subject collection, and going back through the feedback to see what changes I can make to try and bump my grade up a bit. First things first, last week I finally made my orange ribbon! I managed to corner Steve and get seem of that beautiful orange foil before all the second/first years used it all up again. I did make two pieces, but the foil hardly came out on the one of them, so I don’t have a smaller piece to fit on my mini product board, but I’m sure I can figure something out.
The next step was to push my mood boards up a notch. My field project has really helped me develop my skills in making mood boards. I used to slap a few images together and think it looked brill, thankfully Irene has really pushed me to research mood boards and see how creative and well laid out they can be. I know play with different effects in my mood boards, use of layering and text, etc.
I’m much happier with how my new mood boards look, I think they’re so much more professional.
Both Monday and yesterday were dedicated to garment production; cutting pattern species, attempting to sew seams, more pattern cutting. I made the body and sleeves of my first jacket, but since I don’t have the level of skill to put in sleeves, that’s something that will have to wait for another day.
Yesterday evening however, was dedicated to making a few new designs that I could then take into print and experiment with for the rest of the week. i decided to be a bit experimental with my designs, using a piece of charcoal, I took some of the shapes from my original photographs and turned them into quick marks, along with translating a bit of knit which was on my board, into a a few curved marks, which turned out to be quite interesting. I then spent the night scanning these in and turning them in designs/patterns. I’m looking forward to experimenting with these designs in print, especially using Devore.
Today was the day I posted my portfolio for the Burberry Fashion Design Competition. While I was happy with the portfolio I had made, I’ve already started to develop and make changes for when it come time to send it to the British Fashion Council. But thats the point of a portfolio right, that its something that can always been updated.
With one colour way completed, I then moved onto the next. I had a brilliant idea of swapping colour palettes with the friend (not so subtly name dropped in the last post) to create a completely different look. The new colour palette was brights! having never worked with brights it took me a while before I would find a combination that didn’t make my eyes bleed, but at long last I got there.
Once my designs were altered, I made up a CAD visual of another sub collection, this one being women sportswear.
I’m really happy with my alternative colours ways. I don’t think I’ve every made alternative colour ways that worked as well as these do!