I Want To Know What Mood Is

I’ve started to revisit my subject collection, and going back through the feedback to see what changes I can make to try and bump my grade up a bit. First things first, last week I finally made my orange ribbon! I managed to corner Steve and get seem of that beautiful orange foil before all the second/first years used it all up again. I did make two pieces, but the foil hardly came out on the one of them, so I don’t have a smaller piece to fit on my mini product board, but I’m sure I can figure something out.

The next step was to push my mood boards up a notch. My field project has really helped me develop my skills in making mood boards. I used to slap a few images together and think it looked brill, thankfully Irene has really pushed me to research mood boards and see how creative and well laid out they can be.  I know play with different effects in my mood boards, use of layering and text, etc.

I’m much happier with how my new mood boards look, I think they’re so much more professional.

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 10.24.45Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 10.21.46Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 10.24.26Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 10.24.35

Advertisements

Manic Mood-Boards

Taking advice from Sarah and Irene, I decided to change my mood boards. They were right; they didn’t fit my collection, the didn’t look professional and they certainly didn’t contain anything of myself in them. They were essentially, just boards with a few photos stuck on them.

Now I know that mood boards shouldn’t take a long time, half a day at the most, but I think I went a little over the time limit. Not by much mind you, but it still took me longer to put together a cohesive set of boards than I would have wanted.

I researched mood boards beforehand, going on art thread and looking at some really cool ones on there, before striking out to create my own.

I used images which I had already gathered, along with a few of my own designs to create some really cool mood boards that matched with the designs that I have been creating, and the overall fell I want my collection to have.

Instead of an inspiration board I decide to to have a font & prints board where I displayed some of my designs along with ones, created but other people, that I find inspirational. This was a really good move, because already, from just looking at this board it focuses my mind.

Another piece of advice I had was to use foam to lift some of the images off the page, giving different levels, which I did and I have to say, I do really like the effect it has; it’s really professional and brings another dimension to the board.

I wasn’t really loving the idea of colour chips on my board. Just blocks of flat colour, or flat foil in my case, so instead, I got out some of my samples that had the foil colours that I’ve decided I’m going to use throughout my collection, and cut a small piece from these samples, so as to see the foils in use. I think it looks much better and fits better with my boards. I also used foam to lift some of the colour and materials into the foreground.

I’m really pleased with my new mood boards, they are definitely better suited to my collection now, and they will help me to really focus and refine my designs.

Digital mood boards above.

fullsizerender-4-copy

Colour and materials board with samples attached. 

 

 


Don’t Stop Drawin’

Last night, after a competitive round of Snapchats *uh hum, thanks Paige*, I was motivated to start looking into repeating patterns. I’ve felt that this project has zoomed by me, but what I needed to do was to stop and remember that this is only the third week and I still have plenty of time to experiment and work through my ideas.

I created a design using collage because I really like the effect of building laters. On some of my previous samples I’ve mixed fabrics and stitch and then mounted them. I think I’m looking for ways in which layers can be incorporated in my designs. I also really like the idea of sort of D-I-Y, like messy hand stitching and then also quick ways to create type, e.g using newspaper cuttings.

I used this design to create a repeating pattern – which repeat from all four sides of the design. Let me tell you, it took a lot of working and shifting things around to finally get a tile that would repeat exactly. I’ve yet to actually hand print this designs out, which I will be doing on Friday; using screen printing.

Today for me was sort of a way to slow down, to come back from that feeling that I need to be racing ahead and to actually just take time to gather ideas and just draw. I created my moodboards which actually had the effect of calming and focusing my mind after it having been frantic for the past few days, and then moved on to actually finding ideas from these images.

On my mood board it shows that I have been thinking about mesh fabrics and structures so I started looking into this in more depth. I found some images and stuck them into my sketchbook so I could easily look at these images while I was drawing. I’m not going to lie, drawing while watching bake off was reeaaallly relaxing, so by the end of it, I was really enjoying drawing and experimenting. I came up with three quick grid designs that had been inspired by mesh which I plan to take into the studio and print.  I also started working on some hand drawn fonts to print with. – I was really struggling with trying to draw type, because I was thinking that I needed to draw my type into the actual design layout that I wanted to print; instead of realising that I can draw them out however is easiest and then using photoshop to distort, or rearrange, them afterwards.

I plan to carry on drawing tomorrow, in time to take into the studio on Friday.