Both Monday and yesterday were dedicated to garment production; cutting pattern species, attempting to sew seams, more pattern cutting. I made the body and sleeves of my first jacket, but since I don’t have the level of skill to put in sleeves, that’s something that will have to wait for another day.
Yesterday evening however, was dedicated to making a few new designs that I could then take into print and experiment with for the rest of the week. i decided to be a bit experimental with my designs, using a piece of charcoal, I took some of the shapes from my original photographs and turned them into quick marks, along with translating a bit of knit which was on my board, into a a few curved marks, which turned out to be quite interesting. I then spent the night scanning these in and turning them in designs/patterns. I’m looking forward to experimenting with these designs in print, especially using Devore.
Having used the white silicone that I had around the house to create a few samples grids., I then went about experimenting with painting them. One I sprayed black, but the paint, once dried, flaked off easily. On the next I tired using a primer, which was more hard wearing than the black paint, but once I sprayed the black onto, it became flaky again. I like how the paints flaked, it was really interesting but it doesn’t half make a mess.
After speaking with Irene on Tuesday, she told me to look into using silicone to make the back piece of my jacket from. My idea is to have a sprite grid as an overlay on the back of my first jacket. I had been experimenting with laser-cutting which is a bit flat and very fragile, so the suggestion of using silicone was quite interesting. Plus I was worried that the size of the laser-cutting that I would need wouldn’t have fit into the machine.
I made a trial grid last night out of silicone which was really messy and a bit wobbly, but I twas really cool and it was super easy to imagine it much neater, painted and affixed to my jacket and I really like how all that sounds! I just need to practice.
After my feedback I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of things I need to get on top of, and one of the things that I really liked the idea of is bringing in some subrates that make the collection feel warmer, so I started to think about knit, and popped into the Craft Sew and Sew to pick up a few wools in colours that are in my scheme.
I then needed to learn how to knit, not a big ask, I suppose.
This called for reinforcements, in the form of my mum. Master knitted extraordinaire (maybe I’m exaggerating but if you see how fast she can knit, you’d think so too). I’ve spend the afternoon learning how to knit, and I can tell you, I haven’t felt so cack-handed in years!
I love knitted stuff, big chunky jumpers, tightly knitted socks, massive blankets! They exude warms that cosy-ness which is something that would slot perfectly into my collection. So on I went with trying to knit, I started with some wool I has lying around the house, and made 20 stitches so I was just making a small sample patch. I don’t know what I did wrong but a one point I ended up with 28 stitches and by then end there were a few wholes where I’d dropped some. Needless to say that I got my mum to make me a samples with the threads that matched my colour scheme.
Using three different needled sizes, 10mm, 7mm and 4mm, I’ve got samples of different size, different colour and of varying degrees of skill! I do however really like the idea of adding knit into my collection, especially as a really cozy jumper that can be layered under my jacket and reinforces the idea of warms and protection.
(I’m not against buying a jumper and dying it the colour I want either!)