I took some time today to put together my artist statement, and to really think about what I wanted to write in it. I wanted it to be succinct and to the point, while at the same time displaying the same passion that I have for my collection. Here’s what I came up with.
I have a heart for the homeless, one that makes me strive to fight for them, and to be heard for them. I created this collection as a way to break through the cloud of negativity and misconception that surrounds homelessness, so that no one gets treated as less than human because of a difference in living situation. I wanted my designs to reflect what homeless people see on a daily bases so I chose to focus patterns and markings found on the ground. This collection has a fashion outcome, for which I chose to create men’s outerwear. I chose outwear because of its protective nature, which I thought reflected really well with the idea that I’m trying to get across, that those who are vulnerable, such as the homeless, should be protected.
With the deadline looming nearer (I say that like I’m stressed or dreading it, I’m really not), I decided to go back to my portfolio, like i did my mood boards, and just make them better. Update them so they fit better with the collection i have created, and well, this is the result.
Who would have thought that I would need to consider pockets. Would have to ponder and ruminate on pockets. Or that I would have fun thinking of different words of thinking while I was suppose to be actually be thinking of pockets.
There are so many things that I never thought I would have to think about. Zips, shoulder seams, patterns, pockets, dropped crotch trousers; and yet I am. I sound like I’m complaining, and maybe I am a little, but this fashion outcome is still exciting to me, which I think is important. 6 weeks in and I don’t regret my choice, I don’t want to be doing something else, I’m just a little teensy bit overwhelmed. Anyway, pockets.
My jackets need pockets and I need to think about what pockets I want. Here is a handy collection of images of pockets:
I like the exaggerated pockets, but I’m thinking that in order to compliment the design of my jacket, weft pockets would be more appropriate, plus they’re cool! I have these really beautiful waterproof zips that I got from Klein’s in London, a dark purple and a Burgundy colour which I think would look amazing with the colourings of my jacket.
Today’s professional practice with Tracey was all about networking. I’m not going to lie, I had no idea what networking was, I’d assumed it was something to do with social media, another thing I don’t really understand, but it turns out to be meeting people. Socialising. Connecting. Networking. Tracey’s story was really interesting, and it’s crazy to think that she’s got where she is today just by having conversations with people. Now I’m not really a people person, but I can see the point of it. I understand, and I kind of what to give it a try. I think I just need to sort out a goal, like what do I want to come out of this networking event or something like that, which will help me to get through it, instead of floundering in the corner. But overall it was really cool hearing about hoe networking has helped her business and starting to think about what it could do to help me.
My tutorial with Irene today was to go over my brief and to talk about which designs I want to be taking forward into production. My brief was good, meaning that I’m able to go forward with focusing on designs, which is what I’ve been doing since. I’ve decided which two jackets I want to create, and have been thinking about the different processes and techniques I could be using to create the fabrics for them. I have based the fabric designs for each jacket on a photo, or two photos, that I took while out in the city centre.
The first jacket, Tyler (while in university Paige and myself where doing some standing/walk thinking and thought it would be a good idea to name my jackets, now I can’t think of them without those names!) is going to be made of a light cotton, that will be thickened by something called furry fuzz I think? Which will make it more like a parka. I want to hand dye the fabric for the jacket, starting with an overall colour and then embellishing with ice dying to get the colour variation that are in the photograph. I then plan to have a 3D piece of fabric layered over the jacket, mirroring the shape of the grid pattern from the left side of the image. I’m planning to experiment with different fabrics and lazer-cutting for this top layer, I also want to secure only parts of it to the actual jacket so in some places its separate and will move on its own.
The second jacket, Simon is going to be made from moleskin cotton, again hand dyed but I also want to experiment with pleating to create the same effect of the manhole cover on the back of the jacket, I then plan to try screen printing onto the pleat to create shadows for a more 3D effect. I’m also thinking about using puff to recreate the yellow paint from the top image.
I’ve also started to think about finishes (waterproofing the fabric) and what fastenings I want (a zip for Tyler and poppers for Simon). I want pockets in the outside of Tyler while on the inside for Simon, but I’m still toying with these ideas because getting the actual fabrics sorted is a priority.
The last think I’m planning for my jackets is to have embroidered wording on both jackets. I want the words to be related to homelessness and I really like the idea of having some of the negative names that homeless people have been called on the jacket for people to see, which will hopefully lead to conversation about changing the attitudes of society towards homeless people.