Smoking Jacket

Jacket one is done. Well almost. Ok not really. But I did make the toile version which I think counts as at least partway there. Cutting the pattern was the easy(ier) bit, it then came to the sewing part, for which I had to use an industrial sewing machine. Took me a while to figure out how to work it, but after that I was ready and raring. Only it was so much more difficult and slightly stress inducing than I thought it would be. I don’t know what possessed me to think I’d be able put a jacket together, but I tried none the less.

It took me three tries to get the shoulder sleeve done. The first time I sewed it on inside out, the second time I had a huge pleat in the front of the jacket and after unpicking those and snapping the needle I was about ready to give up. Most likely. Then Irene swopped in like this black wearing superhero, kicked me off the machine, and showed me how to properly put a shoulder seem in, thank the Lord! I don’t think I would have been able to handle any more.

With my first toile made, I was able to see, kind of, what shape and size my jacket will be. Though it’s pretty hard to imagine anything when looking at the white beast of a thing.

Once I got someone to try it on, I was able to see, or confirm cause I totally already knew, that I didn’t like the hood. So I then went about creating a hood that had two side panels, and a middle panel and it’s so much nicer. It more exaggerated so sits wider instead of taller.

Job well done I think.

Advertisements


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s