Mothers of Africa

This week and last week we have been taking part in a project called Mothers in Africa; our task is to design and create a square of fabric, that will then be brought together and made into a quilt to help raise awareness for the charity. Last week we had a talk about the Mothers of Africa, and textiles that have been created and influenced by Africa and African art. During this talk I was particularly interested in the Mud Cloths. After the talk we went over to the library to gather images and research, I started looking into Bogolanfini Mud Cloths, how they were made and what they’re symbols meant. I then started to make my own designs, using the symbols of the Bogolan Mud Cloths.

MOA RESEARCH

MOA RESEARCH AND DESIGN

Last week during our dye session, I chose to dye one of the fabrics, so that I could then sew one of my designs ontop, and for my other square, I chose to do a procion screen-print, where I hand painted the design onto the screen and then transferred the design onto the fabric. I then hand embroidered onto my design. I used all earth tones for this work, keeping in line with the fact that the original Mud Cloths are painted using fermented mud.

Mother of African Square (2)


Figure Drawing 24th November /1st December

Last Monday’s drawing lesson was based on figure drawing and portraiture. We started by the class getting split into two groups, in each group we had a volunteer to pose, while everyone else was to draw them. The idea of this exercise was that each person in the group would work on everyone else’s figure drawings. We stood in a circle around the model, and after a minute of drawing, we all moved a place to the left, and started drawing for a minute on the work of the person next to us, and so on until we were back to our own drawing. The result of these drawings were really interesting, it is a much freer style of drawing because when you’re working on a piece of work that isn’t your own, your less restricted in what you’re doing. We did this exercise twice, once in just pencil and another in colour. I preferred the colour drawings, because each person had a different colour, and at the end, each addition to the drawing is visible.

Group figure drawing, Pencil.

Group figure drawing, Pencil.

Group figure drawing, colour.

Group figure drawing, colour.

The second part of the day included two different tasks, the first was that we were to split into pairs and draw portraits of our partners; the first drawing was a quick 5 minute drawing where we were told not to look at the paper we were drawing on, and then a 10 minute drawing where our partner modelled for us. We then started on an A1 charcoal self-portrait. I’m usually not fond of using charcoal but I really liked using it this time, because I was able to use the residue charcoal to shade the face, making shadows that made the face look real.

Today’s drawing lesson was based around Mother of Africa, taking inspiration from their lives and textile traditions to make our own square for a Mothers of Africa quilt. Using the idea that we took from African textiles and pattern, we painted onto the A1 charcoal portraits we made last week, then deconstructed and reconstructed.

Reconstructed self-portrait, African inspired patterns.

Reconstructed self-portrait, African inspired patterns.